Resources: Information & Referral
Lake County Senior Center can help you find the resources that you need! Call Rachelle 719-486-1774) for information on supportive services. Please note that Lake County Senior Center does not endorse any particular agency, person or organization! Please research all of your options.
- Area Agency on Aging: Providing many services and resources for seniors. (Upper Arkansas Area Council of Government)
- What is Medicare?
- Information on Medicare coverage. This website provides an overview about retirement, financial decisions and resources.
- The Medicare Resource Center wants you to check out the Medicare benefit changes for 2021
- Need help with understanding your Medicare options? Pikes Peak Area Council of Governments (PPACG) Senior Insurance Assistance is the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) office which provides insurance counseling and education to Chaffee, Custer, Fremont, Huerfano, Lake and Las Animas counties via telephone. The trained staff and volunteers help you better understand Medicare and your health insurance benefits. Their goal is to help you become a more informed insurance consumer by knowing what benefits and options are available to you. This will enable you to make more informed health insurance choices. They are also available to review your current insurance coverage, ensuring you receive the coverage that works best for your personal situation. Call 719-471-2096 for more information or to schedule an appointment. Please check out the PPACG Senior Insurance Assistance website.
Long Term Care Services
- Learn about Assisted Living vs Nursing Homes. This non-government website does a nice job explaining what assisted living can offer and how it is different from a nursing home. It does not list every assisted living or nursing home.
- Medicaid's Look-Back Period Explained: Exceptions and Penalties.
- Looking for information on Long Term Care options? EBD (Persons Who Are Elderly, Blind, or Disabled) is a program to provide an alternative to nursing facility care for elderly, blind, or physically disabled persons. It is Medicaid program. The Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing website provides an overview.
- Single Entry Point (SEP) Agencies provide case management, care planning, and make referrals to other resources for Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) members with the following qualifying needs: elderly, blind and disabled persons. This SEP agency is for Chaffee and Lake counties.
- Chaffee County Health and Human Services
448 E 1st Street
Salida, CO 81201
- Main Phone: 719-530-2500
- Chaffee County Health and Human Services
- Peer Coaching/Addiction Services for Lake County (PDF)
- Ark Valley Recovery Coach Network (PDF)
- Online AA meetings in Colorado: Check out the listing of online (Zoom) meetings in Colorado (PDF)
Alzheimer's & Dementia Support & Education Services
- Alzheimer's Association has great resources for caregivers. It also provides education on the stages of the disease. Check out the Colorado Chapter.
- The Alzheimer's Association 24/7 Helpline (800-272-3900) is available around the clock, 365 days a year. Through this free service, specialists and master's-level clinicians offer confidential support and information to people living with the disease, caregivers, families and the public.
- Helping Friends and Family with Alzheimers: A great article to read
Technology Support for Seniors
- Need help with Technology? Senior Planet Colorado is a wonderful resource for those 60 and older. Check out the Senior Planet Colorado website.
- The Back Home Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) is a Housing First program designed to deliver case management, temporary financial assistance, and other support services (such as employment/education assistance) to veteran families. For an eligibility screening, veterans can call the Intake and Resource Coordinator for Lake County veterans at 720-300-3704. This program is managed by Volunteers of America Colorado.
- The Lake County Veterans Services Office is set up to meet the needs of the nation's veterans and their families, care for veterans who have born the battle, and for his/her family members left behind through the provision of needed services for veterans of American Wars.
Harry Beck-Veterans Officer Phone: 719-221-3245
- Helping Hands of Leadville